Last year was a pretty big year for Andre Crom and his label OFF Recordings, which saw itself become the 8th “Most charted label of 2012” and Andre Crom the 40th “Most-charted artists of 2012“ on Resident Advisor. Consistently churning out some quality deep house productions with iconic vocals, the label isn’t bringing anything groundbreaking to the table, but to quote the label themselves, they are bringing hit after hit after hit: “That is the short summary of OFF Recordings”. They also say that their sound selection is eclectic, as they try to incorporate sleazy deep underground pop tunes as well as jacking house to reduced groover. We’re not sure about sleazy deep underground pop, but the new single “Perfect Thing” is definitely a groover.
OFF Recordings says the key to their success is simple: “OFF Recordings releases music to give people on the dancefloor a good time. Nothing more and nothing less.” “Perfect Thing”, the new single released on the label by James silk and Andre Crom himself, is probably a shining example of what they are trying to say here. With a heavy bassline and those Beverly Hills Cops style synths coupled with the sampled vocal of Lauryn Hill’s “Doo Wop (That Thing)” it’s guaranteed to make you nod your head, or if nothing else at least make you smile and think about how simultaneously great and bad the 80’s were. And then there’s James Silk; Following EPs on Defected and Exploited he seems to be releasing tracks on record labels left, right, and centre, but now makes his debut on OFF Recordings. The Liverpool based artist harnesses R&B and electro-funk rather nicely; taking 80’s tunes and adding a house beat (like his version of Midnight Star‘s “Midas Touch” found here). As a bonus, we’ve also added in a stream of an OFF Recordings Podcast mixed by James Silk himself; it’s a good one to either lock into or leave playing in the background while you do your friday night thing.
Stream: OFF Recordings Podcast Episode83, mixed by James Silk (OFF Recordings)
James Silk & Andre Crom’s ‘Perfect Thing’ is out now on OFF Recordings.
Tracklist for OFF Recordings Podcast Episode83, mixed by James Silk:
1. Karmon – When Dark Becomes Light (Diynamic)
2. Matt Tolfrey Ft. Marshall Jefferson – The Truth (Leftroom)
3. Pete Oak – Want You So (Sleazy Deep)
4. Nicone – Why (Monte remix) (OFF Recordings)
5. H2 – Chase The Sun (Get Physical)
6. Rebel – Sun Runner (Mexa Records)
7. James Silk – Inside Of Me (Nite Grooves)
8. Rob Clarke – Sometimes (Bounce)
9. Doctor Dru – 2 Know U (Exploited)
10. James Silk & Andre Crom – Perfect Thing (OFF Recordings)
11. H2 – Demo Tape (Get Physical)
12. Tough Love – Night Is Calling (Lee M Kelsall remix) (Runnin’ Wild)
13. Forest – Casablanca (Mexa Records)